Ever wondered what happened to the old mobile phone you threw away? In the unique puzzle simulation game Burn The Boards you can not only experience the reality of an informal worker, who breaks down e-waste for a living, but also contribute to change. The game is available for free on Android and iOS. The player takes on the role of Arun, a villager who came to the big city with his wife and child to try his luck. Arun gets work in Chopra’s e-waste scrapyard, a small backyard factory where a dozen workers recycle electronic components. In order to feed his family, Arun has to recycle as many boards as possible, while toxic fumes will also poison him at the same time. The gameplay is based on puzzles that gets increasingly complex. The player has to break the board apart in the most efficient manner, maximizing his profit and minimizing the numbers of moves. Through a shop system, the player can also purchase items that increase his ability to pick components, protect his health and help him to deal with health issues caused by the work. The game can be only be won by hard work: after a particular sum is reached, Arun can afford to retire from his recycling job and look for healthier opportunities. Burn the Boards also aims at tangible change. Not only does it want to inform about the dangers of e-waste recycling and the hazardous conditions of informal workers, but it will also allow for an impact in reality. With the support of the German NGO Action for World Solidarity Causa Creations will donate 50% of its revenues on iOS and 100% of its revenues on Android to the support of migrating work forces in India, most whom are Dalits („Untouchables“).
„Burn the Boards“ is conceived and optimized for android and iOS.
- unique puzzle and simulation mechanic
- insights into the toxix realities of e-waste
- an abundance of levels
- awesome pixels and game design by Jamo Games
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Interdisciplinary Research Grant, Austrian Ministry of Culture" Austria, 2014
About Causa Creations
- Causa Creations is a boutique game development studio located in Vienna, Austria. Originally established in 2014, the independent company is currently helmed by Georg Hobmeier, Ben Wahl, Brian Main, and Christian Knapp Our multi-disciplinary team of seasoned developers, artists, and designers is dedicated to crafting fully rounded experiences that not only entertain but engage and inform audiences. Not afraid to roll up our sleeves and get things done, we pride ourselves in the care and attention that comes through in our award-winning work. We see games not merely as entertaining diversions but as meaningful, enriching experiences that can connect us, challenge our perceptions, and give insights into the world around us. We aim to push the boundaries of what games can do through cutting edge innovation and human-centred design.
- More information
- More information on Causa Creations, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Burn The Boards Credits
- James Bidulph
- Artist, Game Designer
- Patrick Borgeat
- QA, iOS deployment
- Tilmann Hars
- Game Designer
- Georg Hobmeier
- Narrative / Game Designer
- Christian Knapp
- Programming, Research, Game Designer
- Juan A. Romero